Sunday 24 July 2011

Snab 2_4_10

A drive up the coast this afternoon saw me park up at Snab Point, just south of Cresswell. News from earlier in the day has suggested that there could be stuff worth seeing, and indeed my two and three quarter hour visit was moderately successful, particularly as I could sea-watch from the relative comfort of my car.

So, the main quarry - that's the "2" reference; with two storm petrel - the first at 15:11, drifting north ~ not the best view as it fluttered between the wave troughs, but suffice to remind me how small a species it is! The second was picked up at 15:52, this time a few meters closer to shore and a more prolonged view over the top of the impressive breaking waves. A result, especially when I consider that the last time I saw this species was in 1989!!!. Better numbers had been reported in the morning from nearby Newbiggin, but I shall not complain.

4 ~ the number of drake velvet scoter noted - all flying north, with two of them immediately following the stomies.

10 ~ manx shearwater. I had expected to pick more of these but they were sufficiently scarce this afternoon. Although not as scarce as any skua sp. - not a sniff of any!

Otherwise there was a steady stream of gannet, kittiwake, commic terns, sandwich tern along with guillemot and an occasional razorbill and red-throated diver.... all rather pleasant. 

No comments: